(Click here to download a .pdf of this posting)
This position will include coordination of the St. Michael’s Saturday Kitchen, our successful and long-running feeding program. Working collaboratively with the program’s volunteers and donors, the Kitchen Manager/Chef will ensure and promote the community role of the Saturday Kitchen in both serving and providing volunteer opportunities to people of all ages, backgrounds, and faiths.
Additionally, the Kitchen Manager/Chef will include organization of and holistic planning for the St. Michael’s kitchen, pantry, and food storage, with availability for help in hospitality and food ministry throughout the parish on an as-needed basis.
The position is part-time.
Oversight and Coordination of Saturday Kitchen:
- Lead in menu and other program planning for Saturday Kitchen food preparation.
- Supervise and lead volunteer kitchen staff.
- Institute and implement systems for volunteer teams to follow.
- Oversee stocking and maintenance of storage and kitchen.
Organization and Logistics:
- Manage inventory for the feeding program, including pantry, supplies, and ordering.
- Organize kitchen, pantry, and food storage for optimal use and hygiene.
- Work with parish administrative staff to order food and supplies.
- Oversee donations from New York Food Bank and other agencies.
- Ensure compliance with NYC health and hygiene code, especially relating to storage, cleaning procedures and food handling (including training and certification requirements).
- Review compliance with composting and recycling requirements by NYC, seeking out eco-friendly alternatives for packaging, disposables, etc. where possible.
- Keep and report statistics for granting agencies.
Communications and Liaison:
- Working with lead volunteers:
- Maintain regular email/text communications with volunteers.
- Maintain communication with groups wishing to volunteer to coordinate schedule, including scheduling experienced volunteers to train and help groups.
- Liaise periodically with local restaurants and food donors. Establish a personal relationship with managers at these organizations.
- Help with grant applications for program funding (depending on skills and experience).
- In discussion with Rector and other staff, the Kitchen Manager may offer food preparation, menu planning, consulting, and other assistance to parish ministries and events, with agreed-upon extra compensation.
- Previous working experience as a Chef or Sous
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to motivate others and lead by example
- In-depth knowledge of cooking trends and best practices
This position works regularly with the Director of Finance & Administration, but reports directly to the Rector. An annual review process will be followed.
Compensation and hours negotiable based on experience.
For more information and to apply, please contact the Rev. Kate Flexer, Rector, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 212-222-2700 x101.