We’re building a more welcoming St. Michael’s
In 2022, St. Michael’s is undertaking our largest building renovation in over a century. In keeping with our Core Values of Community, Stewardship and Diversity, we’re making our church buildings more welcoming and accessible as we enter our third century. As Mother Kate has said, “Our buildings are NOT our mission, but they house and enable our mission.”
- A ramp into the church at the Amsterdam Avenue door.
- A ramp in the garden that leads to an elevator in the parish house.
- A more welcoming connection between the sanctuary and parish house.
- A new bridge between the choir room and organ loft, to replace the dangerous one we have now.
- New first-floor restrooms!
Renovations Project Update: We’re Underway!
Renovations Project Update: We have our “GC” on board
Renovations Project Update: News about our “Big Dig”
Gallery of Architect’s Renderings
A new ramp will lead through the garden to the elevator on the lower level. A glass awning over the lower entrance will make for a better-lit and more welcoming space.
A new door from the church will lead straight into the Parish House, and the space between the two buildings will become an atrium. A new bridge will connect the choir room directly to the organ loft, replacing the creaky bridge and steps.
We’re installing an ADA-compliant ramp in the loggia on Amsterdam Avenue, replacing the current steep ramp and rendering the church fully accessible to all.