Director of Children’s and Youth Choirs
St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, New York City
St. Michael’s Episcopal Church is seeking a talented and energetic Director of Children’s Choirs for its vibrant and diverse choral program. The director is responsible for the musical direction and education of the children’s choral ensembles and will work closely with the Director of Music, St. Michael’s clergy and lay leadership, parents, and community members on programming, community outreach, and Christian formation.
The free children’s choir program at St. Michael’s is a vital component of our music ministry. Currently the Cherub Choir (beginners PK and up), Angel Choir (intermediate), and the St. Cecilia Choir (advanced upper grades) sing a wide variety of repertoire, with choral training methods drawn from both the RSCM and Kodály.
The primary purpose of the choirs is to praise God, to support the worship of the church, and to form our children and youth in the Christian faith. In doing so, the choirs offer teaching and training in excellent choral technique, developing a love of music in participants and a sense of belonging to the St Michael’s community.
We actively recruit children and youth in our neighborhood, making our choirs an outreach to the surrounding community. Going forward, we seek to increase that recruitment.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Choirs is a half-time position requiring 20 hours a week, which varies by season.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Conducting regular rehearsals with all of the children’s and youth choirs
- Directing choirs at 10:00 am Sunday services and other special services and events
- Musical leadership for the annual Christmas pageant
- Close collaboration with other staff in music and Christian formation
- Intentional recruitment through local schools and other community centers
- Regular communication with parents and with the congregation as a whole
Candidates must have:
- A bachelors degree in music with an emphasis in choral work
- Extensive experience working in music with children of all ages
- Excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with other staff members
- A flexible and creative approach with a sense of humor
- An appreciation for liturgy, quality church music from a wide variety of traditions, and an eagerness to further the mission and ministry of the church
Strong preference will be shown to those candidates possessing:
- Graduate work and training in choral conducting
- Organ and/or keyboard skills
- Training and experience in RCSM and Kodály programs
- Anglican/Episcopal liturgical experience
This position is responsible to the Music Director for supervision, working closely with the Rector who has ultimate oversight of program and ministry. The children’s choir director also works with other staff, especially with the Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries.
St Michael’s seeks and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. Applicants should submit a letter and resume to John Cantrell, Director of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10th.