(Click here to download a .pdf of this posting)
POSITION: Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries
PURPOSE: The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries is an important leadership role overseeing and directing our dynamic and spirit-filled children’s and youth programs, in collaboration with their parents, and St. Michael’s clergy and staff. This is a cherished and vital ministry within our church, as we enjoy a sizable number of families who come to us for the education, support and community we provide their children. We meet our children wherever they are in their spiritual journeys, and provide them with a loving and supportive church home where they will explore their faith and build lasting friendships.
ABOUT: St. Michael’s Church is a 215-year old Episcopal Church, located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, in a racially and economically diverse neighborhood. Our membership ranges across income levels, races, sexual orientation and age – from young adults to young families to parishioners well into their 90s. Our community is vibrant and close knit, with shared interests ranging from social justice and the arts to the service of our neighborhood Saturday kitchen and tutoring programs.
DETAILS: This position reports to the Rector, working in collaboration with the Associate Rector. Hours are flexible, averaging 25-30 hours per week. Salary is $45,000 annually, paid bi-weekly.
- Lead and direct our youth ministries to align with our faith, core values, mission, and commitment to justice and equity
- Build and nurture the ministry of our Sunday School, youth groups and other ministries for children, youth and their families
- Create and foster a supportive and inclusive environment for families and children of all backgrounds and composition, including LGBTQ+ and special needs
- Create and facilitate leadership roles for children and youth, from worship ministries (lectors, intercessors, acolytes, greeters) to creative engagement (theatrical, musical) and service projects
- Develop opportunities for intergenerational ministry and community outreach
- Recruit, train, and manage adult volunteers to teach Sunday school, lead youth groups and assist with special events
- Coordinate Safe Church training for adult volunteers
- Provide education and resources for parents and guardians for faith at home
- Build relationships with individual students and connect them to other adults and students at church, as well as to other ministries of the church
- Coordinate and supervise nursery caregivers for worship and other all-parish events
- Plan and coordinate special events for parents & children, both separately and as families
- Manage the budget and finances for Children & Youth Ministries
- Create and maintain communications in print and online materials, including social media
- Committed Christian faith, Anglican/Episcopal background helpful but not required
- Sincere passion for and prior experience working with children and youth ages 4-18
- Demonstrated interest in children’s education and programming
- Ability to cultivate trust-based relationships with both adults and children
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- A collaborative work style and openness to feedback
- Demonstrated pastoral sensitivity, with an ability to maintain confidentiality and healthy boundaries
- Familiarity with (or willingness to be trained in) Godly Play
- Proficient with technology: Google workspace, Zoom, social media (Instagram, TikTok), Microsoft Suite, ability to learn new software
- Physical qualifications: this is a physically active role involving standing, walking up and down stairs, occasional lifting, and sometimes engaging in youth activities such as games and outdoor walks
- Creativity, flexibility, adaptability and a highly developed sense of humor
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in related field preferred
HOW TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and resume to the Rev. Katharine Flexer, Rector, at email@example.com. We particularly encourage diverse candidates representing the Black and Latinx communities to apply. We will hire when we find the right person!