- This event has passed.
Retirement and Vocational Discernment Class
November 16, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pmfree
Session II: Professional and Personal Identity
Making sense of life transitions
- Have my earlier big transitions—adolescence, college, first job—been simple or turbulent?
- What has been my work culture, and what will I miss or not miss?
- Where does my work identity fit in my total self-esteem, and what are its most important perks (e.g., stature, power, social contribution)?
- How—if in any way—do I want to stay in contact with professional peers and intellectual content after retirement?
- Will I take a victory lap—consulting, mentoring, pro bono gigs—or will I make a hard pivot out of my professional field?
- How do I connect compensation and stature?
- If in a primary relationship, how will my spouse/partner and I sync our work and retirement transitions?
- What are my initial scenarios for life after retirement (more discussion in Session IV)?
- Initial discussion about potential nonprofit visits
Reading assignment: Transitions: Making Sense of Life’s Changes (25th Anniversary/2nd edition) by William Bridges