Saturday Kitchen Coordinator Position
St. Michael’s Episcopal Church is a vibrant, inclusive, welcoming community on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, with an active calendar of worship, family ministry, music, and outreach throughout the week. We are looking for a person with good organizational and communication skills to help coordinate the St. Michael’s Saturday Kitchen, our successful and long-running feeding program. The ideal candidate will be able to work collaboratively with the program’s leadership, volunteers, and donors to ensure and promote the community role of the Saturday Kitchen in both serving and providing volunteer opportunities to people of all ages and faiths. Talents in planning, communication, and working with other people are a must.
The position is part-time.
• To support and enable the work of the Saturday Kitchen in coordination with its volunteer program leader and parish staff.
• To be a point person for volunteers, both parishioners and non-parishioners.
Anticipated time requirements are approximately six to eight hours during the week, plus attending the Saturday Kitchen on a regular basis for at least the first six months and from then on at least twice a month.
Duties will include:
• Manage inventory for the program, including pantry, supplies, and ordering.
• Introduce standard planning and tracking tools.
• Work with parish administrative staff to order food and supplies.
• Oversee stocking and maintenance of storage.
• Coordinate all expenditures with St. Michael’s Business Office.
• Oversee donations from New York Food Bank and other agencies.
• Ensure compliance with NYC health and hygiene code, especially relating to storage, cleaning procedures and food handling.
• Attend trainings and/or find others to attend trainings as required.
• Review compliance with composting and recycling requirements by NYC.
• Keep and report statistics for granting agencies.
Communications and Liaison:
• Maintain regular email/text communications with volunteers. Institute a sign-up system for volunteers in order to clarify who will be volunteering when.
• Create a list of occasional volunteers who are prepared to be contacted and asked to volunteer when needed.
• Clarify which volunteers are available for key tasks, i.e. main meal cooking work and sandwich making earlier in the week, especially Friday. Saturday cooking. Establish a system for effective communication with each volunteer team.
• Coordinate the Friday night Midnight Marauders ministry to ensure adequate volunteers and transportation.
• Liaise periodically with food donors: Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, etc. Establish a personal relationship with managers at these organizations.
• Maintain communication with all groups that wish to volunteer (schools, Episcopal Charities, etc.) and coordinate when they wish to volunteer. Check that sufficient numbers of experienced volunteers will be on hand to train and help these volunteers.
• Help with grant applications for program funding (depending on skills and experience).
• Physical strength and agility to manage stairs and heavy food containers
• Computer and technical skills for database and volunteer communications
• Grantwriting experience is an added plus
Please submit resume and cover letter by email to the Rector, the Rev. Kate Flexer, at kflexer@saintmichaelschurchorg.