The current church building is the third on this site. It was designed by architect Robert W. Gibson and completed in 1891. It is made of Indiana limestone in the Northern Italian Renaissance or Romanesque-Byzantine style and provides a rich setting for worship. The style was a daring departure in church architecture at the time. The new Church was enhanced with chancel decorations by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company. The Church was dedicated on December 16, 1891.
The Parish House of the same style was designed by architects Charles Merry and Robert W. Gibson and completed in 1902. This building was designed for community service and originally contained facilities for a school, laundry and kitchen.
For most of its first 100 years, the Church’s sanctuary walls were painted in pale neutral colors. In celebration of the building’s centennial, St. Michael’s interior was repainted in colors inspired by the rich palette of its Tiffany windows and decorations.