1807: First Church consecrated (a plain white frame building, which seated 200).
1854: Second Church consecrated (a Gothic structure, built of oak, which seated 400).
1891: Present Church consecrated (Romanesque structure of Indiana limestone, which originally seated 1500); Robert W. Gibson, architect.
1895: Altar, reredos, altar furnishings, credence, and chancel rail designed and produced by the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company, dedicated at Easter. Decoration of the chancel to the vault spring of the dome completed, and the seven lancet windows, St. Michael’s Victory in Heaven, dedicated on Christmas Day. The windows were designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany in collaboration with Rev. John Punnett Peters and produced in the Tiffany Studio with the assistance of artists Clara Driscoll, Edward P. Sperry, Louis J. Lederle and Joseph Lauber. 1897: Lectern installed, designed and executed by the firm of R. Geissler.
1902: Parish House dedicated; Charles Merry and Robert W. Gibson, architects.
1907: For the Centenary Celebration of St. Michael’s, the pulpit, the children’s Dove window (a memorial to all who had been baptized at St. Michael’s) and the chancel decorations are installed and dedicated. All were designed and executed by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company.
1912: Rectory completed; Robert W. Gibson, architect.
1920: The Gloria in Excelsis mosaic reredos designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany in collaboration with Rev. John Punnett Peters for the Chapel of the Angels are dedicated on St. Michael’s Day as a memorial to long-time parishioner and generous benefactor Elizabeth Furniss Zimmerman.
1920: St. Michael’s Vestry commissions the firm of Ludlow and Peabody to build a Chapel and Settlement house in one as St. Jude’s Chapel at 19 West 99th Street. To create a memorial to Rev. John Punnett Peters, the worshippers of St. Jude’s initiated a fund-raising campaign and commission a Vermont white marble altar from J&R Lamb Studios.
1921: East gallery removed, and west gallery shortened to chapel line.
1922: The Chapel of the Angels altar, rail and surrounding pavement, designed by Herman Schladermundt, installed as a memorial to the Rev. John Punnett Peters.
1957: St. Jude’s Chapel is razed as part of the urban development renewal directed by Robert Moses. The J&R Lamb Studio’s altar is crated moved to the outside east portico of St. Michael’s Church.
1967: New organ by Rudolph von Beckerath installed in north gallery.
1989: Rededication of the chancel; artistic design executed by Fine Art Decorating, Inc. New York City and cleaning and repair of lancet windows done by Jack Cushen Studios, New York City. Columbarium dedicated. Designed by Stephen F. Byrns, AIA; decorated by Fine Art Decorating, Inc., with dome by James Garvey Studios.
1990: Rededication of the nave with design executed by Fine Art Decorating.
1995: Installation in the narthex of a painting of Christ on the Cross, Anno Domini by Keith Carrington done in 1993.
2001-2002: Removal and complete restoration of the Tiffany lancet windows by Rohlf’s Stained Glass Studio.
2007: As part of the Bicentennial Celebration of St. Michael’s the St. Jude’s altar is removed from the outside east portico and restored by a team headed by Metropolitan Museum of Art stone conservator, Michael Morris. It is re-located to a niche by the front entrance of St. Michael’s Church, dedicated on April 22, 2007 and re-consecrated on October 28, 2007.