To begin with, we discussed some of the challenges of our spiritual lives. These included:
- Perseverance – The ability to stick to a spiritual practice, and the ability to commit to new ones as our spiritual lives change.
- Patience – So often a prerequisite to everything else we try to accomplish in spirituality as in life.
- Staying organized – Sometimes prayer is a logistical challenge. We discussed how to keep track of how we’re praying and what we’re praying for.
- “Busy doing nothing” – We notice that our time often seems to disappear, especially in the evenings.
We then went on a somewhat meandering tour that attempted to identify online resources that might be helpful in our spiritual lives.
Prayer & Meditation Resources
- bcponline – An online, hyperlinked version of the Book of Common Prayer
- Electronic Common Prayer – The official app of the Book of Common Prayer
- Daily Office – A beautiful app by Argyle Software
- Pray As You Go – Daily audio meditation
- InsightTimer – Start and end your silent prayer time peacefully
- NeuBible – Beautiful reading app (iOS only)
- Olive Tree – Strong study tools available
- YouVersion – One of the most popular apps in the world
- Common English Bible – A new translation for readability (available on many apps)
- Blue Letter Bible – For original-language word study and more
- Brother, Give Us a Word – From Episcopal monks in Cambridge, MA
- Richard Rohr – Franciscan contemplative with a heart for social action
- Daily Word – “daily prayer messages to help people of all faiths”
- Forward Day by Day – Flagship offering of Episcopal discipleship organization Forward Movement
- Old and New Project – Thought-provoking Biblical illustrations (currently down? Facebook page here)
- Christian Art Daily – Short video descriptions by Boston University religious educator
- Met Museum Jerusalem Exhibit – From last year’s incredible exhibit, including some custom-made vidd
- Sister Wendy American Collection – All six episodes of Sister Wendy’s tour of U.S. museums
- On Being – Well-known NPR show hosted by Krista Tippet
- Interfaith Voices – Another public radio offering
- Popping Collars – The podcast Kyle wishes existed when he started his digital missioner job
- Easter People – The show Kyle and his colleagues created because Popping Collars didn’t exist yet
- Two Feminists Annotate the Bible – Two women dive deep into scripture
- Racial Heresy – Two Episcopal priests having honest conversations to combat racism